What is self care? According to a simple Google search, self care is the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health. Are you paying attention to your inner needs? Do you know what your limits are and when to ask for help? Are you taking the time that you need for yourself?
I know that you are busy. You have goals, deadlines, and places to be. Can you spare at least five minutes a day? It’s good for your soul (emotionally, mentally, and physically).
Self care doesn’t have to be hard. It can be as easy as picking up a book and reading or cooking your favourite meal. My husband works away right now throughout the week, so during the week it can be difficult for myself to practice self care. I typically lean towards going on walks and being outside with my son and then working out from home in the evenings. When my husband is home on the weekend, then I make sure I take extra time to sleep and shower. Oh a long shower sure hits the spot!
Here is a list of 17 ways that you can practice self care:
- Create a playlist of upbeat music (to listen while you shower, walk, drive, dance in your kitchen, etc.)
- Take a nap outside in the sunshine.
- Eat an apple with some peanut butter.
- Walk to your favourite dessert place and order dessert.
- Buy yourself flowers.
- Turn off all screens at 8:00pm every night.
- Bake a loaf of banana bread.
- Pop some bubble wrap.
- Do 10 pushups, 10 situps, and 10 squats.
- Read a cheesy novel.
- Enjoy your favourite drink at your local coffee shop.
- Going for a run.
- Close your eyes for five minutes.
- Watching Game of Thrones every Sunday with your favourite snack.
- Go to a park and swing on the swings.
- Give yourself a manicure and pedicure.
- Smoke marijuana (hey it’s legal in Canada – this one is not for me, but for some people it works!)
These may not all work for you. All of them might not work for you. If going for a run is calming for one person, it may not be calming for the next. Find what works for you. Try new ways of self care and keep a list of what works. You may be surprised.
How do you practice self care?