What do you do that makes you happy?
Maybe its taking your dog for a walk or maybe just enjoying the sunshine (when that actually happens in Canada). Whatever it is, just makes sure it puts a big old smile on your face. Having a partner as silly as you are sure helps with the happiness (pictured below).
Life is too short to be a bummer and down on yourself. Sometimes its hard though! I have to catch myself most days with having a bad attitude. But I know I just need to take a step back, breathe, and then continue on with my day. In that moment when I am taking that breath, I find one thing that has made me happy that day and it just puts a smile on my face (ex. making a customers day while working at Starbucks or playing with my two sill dogs).
In order to be happy, some people say that you have to find your true self. But what does that even mean? Does a person actually ever find out who they truly are? Here are a few tips in finding one’s true self and happiness;
- Define what happiness means to you and live by that. According to the field of psychology, happiness is a happy person who experiences frequent positive emotion (joy, interest) and relates it to life satisfaction.
- Stop identifying with sickness and negative thoughts as being who you are.
- Develop a sense of humor (my biggest struggle) and smile.
- Express gratitude.
Start with a smile. Go from there. Once there is a smile on your face, then try to find situations to laugh about. Keep going from there to find your “true self” and happiness.
Here are some ideas on maintaining your happiness on a day to day basis;
- Go on a lunch or supper date with good friends
- Have a bath
- Visit your favourite neighbour
- Plant a flower or a garden
- Dance to your favourite song
What is one thing you do a day to maintain your happiness? I would love to know so that maybe I can incorporate your ideas into my day!