Water is life, and clean water means health.
How important is water in your life? How much water should you be drinking a day? Can a person drink too much water? Can a person drink other things rather than water, or what constitutes as water? There are always so many questions that come up.
There are so many benefits that come from drinking water. Some of these benefits can be:
- Weight Loss: How is water good for weight loss? Water can substitute your drink of choice, whether that be pop, juices, or alcohol. Tons of those beverages are filled with sodium and unnecessary calories. Water can also be an appetite suppressant. You may be feeling hungry, but if you drink a glass of water, you may not feel hungry anymore.
- Energy: Drinking water can save you from becoming dehydrated. When a person is dehydrated, they have symptoms of fatigue, muscle weakness, and dizziness. Headaches are also a major symptom of dehydration.
- Healthy Skin: Drinking water can help you have clear skin and help you to feel refreshed throughout the day.
- Digestive Problems: Did you know that when you drink water, it flushes out the bad toxins in your body and may cause digestive problems? Most symptoms that digestive problems show are caused by dehydration. Water can help relieve those symptoms!
- Better Exercise: Again with dehydration.. it is not recommended to work out while dehydrated. It is better to drink water during your workout, before and after. Being dehydrated can make your workout harder.
Aren’t these enough benefits for you to start drinking the recommended amount of water a day (if you don’t already)?? I would think so!
Most websites on the internet say to calculate how much water you should drink, you should use this formula. Take how much you weigh (in pounds) and divide that by 2. This should give you a number of how many ounces of water you should drink a day. Say you weigh 140 pounds. So 140/2 = 70. There are 8 ounces in a cup, so that person should drink 8.75 cups of water a day (70 ounces).
Do you find it hard to drink 8 cups of more water a day? Here are some helpful tips of making drinking water a better habit.
- Drink a glass of water before each meal.
- Carry a water bottle around throughout the day.
- When feeling like a snack or meal, drink a glass of water first.
- Track water input (most smartphones have an app for that or a piece of paper works as well).
- Drink flavoured water (so many possibilities, my favourite is raspberry-lemon).
- Drinking herbal tea (except for raspberry leaf tea, they say that it can induce labor).
- Drinking a glass or two of fresh pressed vegetable or fruit juice a day, in between bottles of water.
I can admit that I am terrible with my water intake. But since finding out that I am pregnant, I am watching it it much for closely and reading the amazing benefits. Who is ready to join me on increasing their water intake? Let me know!